•  » Naujienos
  •  » Caleb Brantley thought the Washington Redskins might draft him out of

#1 2018-11-14 11:13

linhui95
Narys
Registravosi: 2018-04-17
Žinutės: 216

Caleb Brantley thought the Washington Redskins might draft him out of

.They passed on him like 30 other NFL teams did before the Cleveland Browns finally took the defensive lineman in the sixth round. Brantley faced a misdemeanor battery complaint that was dismissed after the draft.The Redskins signed Brantley on Monday after he was cut by the Browns Darren Fells Jersey , hoping his off-field issues are behind him and he gives them an upgrade over Anthony Lanier, whom they waived with an injury designation."From what we understood, the charges are dropped and everything's OK," coach Jay Gruden said. "He's been there in Cleveland the last couple years, so there haven't been any issues yet. We'll see. We understand who he is, where he comes from and what he's done and what he's going to do, and we've got to hope that we get the best out of him both as a player and as a person."The 24-year-old Brantley had 18 tackles and two sacks last season as a rookie. After a sack and two tackles in the preseason weren't enough to make the Browns' roster, he hopes defensive line coach Jim Tomsula can get him back to the level of his junior season at Florida when he led the Gators with 9? tackles for loss and had 2? sacks."I feel like I can add pressure up the middle and just be a disruptive force," Brantley said. "I just get in there and get vertical and penetrate. And I feel like I can be that kind of player here. I feel like I can learn a lot from Coach Tomsula. He's one of the best D-line coaches. I'm just looking forward to learning from him and just doing what he asks me to do."Brantley is the Redskins' fifth defensive lineman 25 or younger, joining first-round picks from Alabama Jonathan Allen and Daron Payne, Tim Settle and Matt Ioannidis. Gruden said those players and veteran Ziggy Hood are ahead of Brantley, who seems like a long shot to play in the season opener Sunday at Arizona.More likely, he's a long-term prospect for the Redskins Authentic Briean Boddy-Calhoun Jersey , who moved on from Lanier after he was hampered recently by a hip flexor groin injury. He made Washington's 53-man roster as an undrafted free agent in 2016 and had 14 tackles and five sacks last season."We like Anthony," Gruden said. "He did a lot of great things for this organization. But at the end of the day, we thought Caleb adds a little bit more to the defensive line room."NOTES: WR Maurice Harris (concussion) and LB Zach Brown (oblique) did not practice Monday. Gruden expects Brown to be ready for the Cardinals game. If Harris isn't cleared by Sunday, it could open a spot for undrafted rookie Cam Sims to be active. ... The Redskins added QB Nic Shimonek and DT Caushaud Lyons to the practice squad. Shimonek, an undrafted free agent out of Texas Tech who spent training camp with the Chargers, gives Washington a developmental prospect they haven't had since Nate Sudfeld.Scouting the Browns’ Preseason opponent: Philadelphia Eagles - Our Q&A with Bleeding Green Nation Tonight, the Cleveland Browns play their third preseason game when they host the defending Super Bowl Champions, the Philadelphia Eagles. To help preview a few topics from the Eagles’ perspective, we reached out to Brandon Gowton from Bleeding Green Nation and exchanged five questions with him. (Dan Lalich took the lead this week — thanks, Dan!) Enjoy!Eagles fans are still all-in on Carson Wentz.Bill Streicher-USA TODAY SportsDan: “Are there any fans who still aren’t sold on Wentz? He had an up and down rookie year, then looked fantastic last season prior to getting injured. Playing devil’s advocate, the injury thing is starting to become a trend. Any worries about that going forward?”Brandon: “I can’t think of any Eagles fans that I know who aren’t sold on Wentz. Everyone is all-in after watching him come very close to winning the regular season NFL MVP award last year. He’s just the real deal. The perfect blend of intelligence, athletic ability Youth Joe Schobert Jersey , and toughness. The latter of those three attributes can lead to him being a little reckless at times, yes. But it also leads to him making some incredible plays that very few other quarterbacks in the league can pull off. Moving forward, it will be interesting to see how he performs in Year 3 as he comes off his ACL/LCL surgery. The early indications are positive considering he’s looked healthy and sharp during offseason practices. I’m very excited to see what he has in store this year. This is his revenge tour after coming so close to finishing out a special 2017 season.”Nick Foles is in Canton.Kirby Lee-USA TODAY SportsDan: “How big of a shock was Nick Foles in the playoffs last year? Prior to that stretch, how did fans in Philly feel about him, given the mixed results of his earlier run with the team? I assume now it’s just a matter of time until he gets a statue.”Brandon: “The biggest Foles fans in the world can’t reasonably say they expected him to play as well as he did in the NFC Championship Game and the Super Bowl. After mightily struggling towards the end of December (46.9 completion rate, 48.2 passer rating, 4.1 yards per attempt in his final 49 attempts of the regular season), Foles went on to play like one of the best quarterbacks in post-season history. It’s often been said that Foles is a high variance quarterback and there is no greater example than that. Foles had a number of believers heading into the playoffs. People pointed back to the 2013 season when he threw 27 touchdowns to only two interceptions. I was admittedly more skeptical considering the stats didn’t always reflect the true quality of Foles’ performance. Given his struggles at times, I don’t think I was totally off base, but I clearly doubted him too much. There’s no question Foles will always be a legend in Philly. But his accomplishments must be remembered in the context of how Wentz left the team in great position to succeed without him. All Foles had to do was beat a listless Giants team that ended up with the No. 2 overall pick and an uninspiring Raiders squad to clinch the No. 1 seed in the NFC. He didn’t even play well in one of those two games. From there, the Eagles had two straight home games before going on to play and defeat the Patriots in the Super Bowl. Foles was able to do his part thanks to Wentz setting the stage very nicely for him.”Dan: “After the Cavs won the championship in 2016, it felt like a weight was lifted off of the city of Cleveland. I wouldn’t say expectations went down for fans, but there was definitely a sense of “we got one http://www.brownsauthorizedshops.com/au … all-jersey , I can die happy now.” Is that true for Philadelphia fans, or is there a different vibe?”Brandon: “100% true. This was one of my first tweets after watching the Eagles win the Super Bowl live from the stands in Minnesota:For all you Lord Of The Rings nerds out there, I recently compared the Eagles winning their first Lombardi Trophy to when Aragorn freed The Dead Men of Dunharrow after they fulfilled their promise to help him defend Minas Tirith. The city of Philadelphia can finally rest in peace.With that said, the hunger to repeat is very much real. Or it should be, at least. The Eagles have a real window here to do something that’s only been done once before in the salary cap era. Repeating won’t be easy, of course, but it doesn’t seem impossible considering the Eagles arguably have one of the best quarterback/head coach/general manager triumvirates in the league.”The Eagles don’t have Mychal Kendricks any more, but that doesn’t make linebacker their weakest position group.Ken Blaze-USA TODAY SportsDan: “What do you think are the strongest and weakest position groups on the Eagles?”Brandon: “Assuming Wentz is at full health, the strongest position is quarterback. He was right in the mix for MVP last year. Then his backup won Super Bowl MVP. Third string quarterback Nate Sudfeld has had a strong preseason and looks like he could at least be a quality backup in this league. He’ll likely fill that role behind Wentz when Foles leaves after this season. Putting QB aside, since I’ve talked about that a lot already, I’d say defensive end. Brandon Graham, Michael Bennett, Chris Long http://www.brownsauthorizedshops.com/au … ins-jersey , Derek Barnett, Steven Means, and Josh Sweat is a deep lineup of pass rushers. The Eagles led the NFL in total pressures generated last season (per Pro Football Focus) and their pass rush rotation is a big reason why. Some (such as maybe Mychal Kendricks) would point to linebacker as the weakest position, but my biggest concern is the defensive tackle spot right now. Fletcher Cox is an absolute beast but I don’t even know who’s going to be starting next to him. Usually it would be Timmy Jernigan but he’s going to start the season on the non-football injury list and it’s unclear if he’ll even play this year. Haloti Ngata and Destiny Vaeao aren’t difference makers. The fourth defensive tackle spot might be won by an undrafted rookie free agent. The Eagles were able to win the Super Bowl largely thanks in part to the strong play they got from the trenches. It’s disconcerting to see a weak spot on one of those units.”WR Shelton Gibson has had a big preseason for the Eagles so far.Kirt Dozier-USA TODAY SportsDan: “Who is one under-the-radar player you think Browns fans should be looking out for on Thursday?”Brandon: “Shelton Gibson is having a great summer. The 2017 fifth-round pick has amassed seven catches for 167 yards (23.9 average) and two touchdowns through two preseason games so far. He’s a big-play threat who has the ability to simply run by opposing cornerbacks. He’s not just a one-tricky pony in that regard, though, as his route-running has improved and he can get open underneath. Gibson could prove to be pesky for the Browns to cover.”Dan: “BONUS question — How many games do you realistically expect the Browns to win this year, and why is it 19?”Brandon: “I’m going to go slightly under 19 and say ??4 or 5. It’s hard for me to expect a team that’s gone 1-31 over the last two years and has a very suspect coaching staff to take a massive leap this year. For the sake of Browns fans, I hope I’m wrong. I’m just having a tough time going over my projection after looking at their 2018 schedule.”Thanks again to Brandon for taking the time to answer our questions.

Neprisijungęs

• Pradžia
  •  » Naujienos
  •  » Caleb Brantley thought the Washington Redskins might draft him out of

Forumo apačia